Monday 22 November 2010

Research - Quayola

Cityscan 4.11 from Quayola on Vimeo.



I bought a book by D-Fuse about the art of vj and vj culture. It was a fascinating insight into the world of vj's, the scene as a whole, individual companies and respected figures, it also came with a DVD. Some of the videos are technically sound but are let down by a lack of focus or narrative, some are 3d masterpieces, others have great ideas but are let down by poor execution or bizarre experimentation with film - digital techniques. All in all a very interesting purchase.

The quayola video here is my favorite from the DVD. Its clean, precise, direct. I really like the colour usage and the natural forms within. The split screen is the most intriguing feature. It adds dynamic and shifts the viewers point of reference with ease.
I would like to use this feature in my music video. To what extent i dont know. It will be discussed between the other members of my team and hopefully written into the art direction. I will definitely be experimenting in editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment