Monday 22 November 2010

Simulacrum -Character Design - introduction

Part 1 - focus on developing MAYA skills in animation and asset creation
Part 2 - Develop an environment prototype based on the ideas from part 1

p1 - Using MAYA, develop your own 3d, humanoid, Game character archetype.
Beginning with character worksheets and notes, a design will be translated into a basic 3d model with texture.
Finally the character will be rigged and animated for a demo showreel, consisting of walk cycle, idle and jump animations.

I am apprehensive about this project as game art is not an area i am considering moving into. I struggle with thinking up backstories for imaginary characters, and the visualisation of my ideas is let down further by my lack of ability in drawing.
Therefore my designs, concept art and turn arounds will definitely suffer.
I want to try and have fun with this brief and not get too wound up by incidental details. Im looking forward to furthering my MAYA skills as at the moment i am below a novice. Going to be great going back and picking up techniques again as it has been almost a year since i ave touched it...
This in mind, my design will be simple and functional, to ease the burden in translation into, and animation of the design in MAYA.

No comments:

Post a Comment